I sort of remember looking up professor reviews on the website “RateMyProfessors” when I was in college (to see whether or not professors were CHILL) but I definitely remember that professors did not like that website. Weird how they wouldn’t like a site that gave temperamental students the ability to trash the way they did their job, part of which was grading those students. UGH, TEACHERS. (Apparently mtvU acquired the site in 2007 and now professors can film video responses to bad ratings? Eeeek!) (Don’t do that, professors!) Anyway, Celebitchy looked up some reviews of NYU professor James Franco on RateMyProfessors, and they are A++++ very perfect:

•  “Amazing class because we got to make a feature film with A list talent. But James seems sleepy and distracted and doesn’t give feedback because he doesn’t read our writing. The concept for the class is great. But James is a joke of a professor.”
  •  “James is a nice guy, but he’s a really terrible professor. He never grades the papers on time because he is always asleep in class. I once got an F on a test because I wouldn’t share my meatball sub with him. Our improv lessons sucked because he wanted us to be the Green Goblin and chase him around the room. Do not take this class — he reeks of weed.”

Hahaha. Obviously who knows if this is true. Even if you aren’t a James Franco and you’re teaching a class, I’m sure you get some stray lies in your Professor Yelp reviews. “Ms. Junebug hated my blouse so she told me my ‘Yellow Wallpaper’ essay was ‘scattered.’ Just because she hated my blouse!!!” Right? But I will say that I love these reviews so much and I HOPE that they are true. Fingers crossed that he wanted everybody to be the Green Goblin in improv class, ahahaaha. Meatball sub! But clearly there is a chance that they — at the very least, one of the two options we read — might not be completely true. So why should NYU students get to have all of the RateMyProfessors fun with James Franco? WE DESERVE TO HAVE FUN, TOO! 

• James Franco is nice and seems well-intentioned, but he is literally always asleep, 100% of the time. We walk into class and he is asleep, but always has an alarm set for when class is over? Not sure if he is actually asleep — classmates have tried to wake him on multiple occasions and haven’t been able to.
  • It’s cool to be able to say, you know, “I’m taking a class with Professor James Franco,” but not worth it. He farts on every essay and hands it right back to you and then says, “You got an F, for fart.”
  • Wait, is James Franco the name of a dog? I know that James Franco is a human actor, but is there also, like, a famous dog named James Franco? The professor for this class is a dog with a hat and glasses. Just wondering if he’s “somebody” or if he’s just a normal dog.
  • James Franco is very nice and I hate to post a negative review, but he told us that he was edible and that if we wanted to pass the class we had to eat him? Not sexual — someone did it and he was literally edible. (Marzipan?) So, not the real James Franco — just some sort of food human.
  • James Franco draws a penis on the chalkboard every day and spends the rest of the time laughing, very easy class — definitely take.

I FEEL LIKE A STUDENT AGAIN!

Comments (29)
  1. Professors do not like that site because some of them do not get a “chili pepper”
    Professors who DO get a “chili pepper” are neutral on that site.

• I had a really awful creative writing professor who had a lot of bad reviews on there, and then a couple random positive ones that called him “easy on the eyes” that people were convinced he wrote himself.

• I’ve never gotten a hot chili pepper. True story. :(

• ——————— BlackMenDatingWhiteWomen.o/ r /g ————————-is an online personals for black women,white men,black men,white women for black white dating. Thousands of black&white singles are looking for someone like you! If you are interested in black women dating white men, white women looking for black men, you have reached the right place. cvncvncvncvn

2. I went to CU-Boulder, where commenting that your professor reeks of weed constitutes a rave review.

3. “So good.” – review of Professor James Franco by real student Frames Janco.

4. I have a friend who really likes James Franco, but only knows him from a couple of movies and doesn’t spend tons of time online, so he doesn’t get the Franco-hate. This periodically leads to me drunkenly shouting about how terrible Franco is, but then we both agree Pineapple Express is awesome and talk about other things.

5. I’m too old for Rate My Professor to have been around during college, and of that I am glad, because I def would have left a very embarrassing drunken review (or whatever they’re called) of my dreamy Victorian Lit professor. He could have been the mill on my floss, if you know what I’m saying. I would have taken him to the goblin market, if you catch my drift.

• I don’t get the goblin market reference, but that’s definitely not going to stop me from using it.

• I’m trying to think of a saying for Villette, which is the only other thing I can remember reading in that class, but no luck.

• Something something I’d let him lock me in an attic all day to memorize lines for a play I didn’t want to be in anytime ifyaknowwhatImean?

• “Villette” already sounds like some kind of ravishing, or a ravishable part. “I’ve never been Villetted like that,” or “I’d like to Bronte her Villette ten ways from Dickens.”

Also I just checked wikipedia, and it turns out Villette has a character named Polly Bassompierre, which sound ripe for some kind of polyamorous derriere joke. Good luck.

6. The class was fine, but every day he would let us go 20 minute early. I didn’t really understand that because on my way back to the dorm every time I would see him sitting under the bleachers rolling a joint. Every time. By himself. So it doesn’t really make sense that he would have to let us go 20 minutes early each class just so he could go smoke weed by himself. I mean, we lost out on like 16 hours of class time, and if he’d just waited until class was done I’m sure at least a couple of us would’ve smoked weed with him so he didn’t have to be alone. Overall, B-.

7. On the first day of class, Mr. Franco walked into the room and said, “This course will consist of one assignment, and one assignment only. That assignment…is to try to catch me,” and ran out of the room laughing. We thought he was joking, but he never came back the whole semester.

8. I was struggling with the Green Goblin improv so I went to his office hours one day to talk to him. When I showed up, he was in one of those contraptions that holds you by the feet so you can hang upside down and do sit-ups or whatever, you know, and it took a good 5 minutes to unhook him. Once he finally got down and shook “the boogies out” as he said, we finally sat down to talk about the issues I was having. James was surprisingly insightful considering that during the time we were actually doing the improv in class he was just flopping between giggling and snoring the whole time. Once he coached me a little he leaned in really close and whispered to me, “Really, the whole trick to confidence and competence is this: Don’t shower. Ever.” It’s still the best advice I’ve ever gotten. A+

9. i thought it was a little weird to sing up for a class taught by james franco but i knew i had made a mistake when he starting simulating oral sex on loaded weapons in class.

10. Professor Franco was great, but Seth Rogen was always hanging around for some reason and trying to buy weed from me. When I brought it to Professor Franco’s attention, he just told me a long story about how Seth had once made a bong out of a fake rock from the set of 127 Hours. It was a pretty good story. B+.

11. Professor Franco smells like Otto’s jacket. B-

12. “A compelling class. Though James Franco does a serviceable job as Professor James Franco, it’s the supporting cast of befuddled undergrads that really steals the show. Will Franco provide an appropriately inspiring locker room moment prior to the final exam to warrant all this masturbatory tomfoolery? You’ll just have to sign up for the course to find out. B-” Gene Shalit, Senior

13. A friend of mine had a class with Franco at a writing program in North Carolina, they ended up sitting next to each other for most of the semester. This friend didn’t know who he was at first, so was confused when girls would come to the window of the classroom constantly and stare in their direction. He mistakenly thought they were looking at him and not James Franco. Also he said Franco, unsurprisingly talked a lot about pot.

14. I am so terrified of Rate my Professor. I know those kids all hate me!!!

15. I’m transferring back to Professor Jason Schwartzman’s class. C-

16. My economics professor from sophomore year loved that site. Near the end of the semester he admitted in class he’d written detailed rave reviews for himself.

17. MEATBALL SUB!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahah