Former Pennsylvania senator Rick Santorum spoke to a group of college students (probably law students, since he keeps addressing one of them as just “Lawyer,” as in, “Let me talk, Lawyer.” Cool guy, this Rick Santorum guy) and during the question and answer session he goes on an aggressive and shout-y defense of his anti-homosexual beliefs as they were taught to him by the catholic church. OK. I mean, no. But sure. He seems particularly upset that anyone would call him a bigot, which is exactly what a bigot would say! Haha. I’m not sure how well that holds up as a logical argument, but also Rick Santorum IS a bigot, so I don’t even know what he’s so upset about. Anyway, he gets into a debate with one of the students (“Lawyer”) about whether or not children can grow up happily in a home with two gay parents. He argues that they can’t because of 2,000 years of catholic-backed hatred. She argues that you can because of numerous social science studies that have proven that you can. And that is when Rick Santorum fails to rest his case.

Oh brother. How sad is Pennsylvania that this guy isn’t their senator anymore? The saddest? Look, we don’t actually need to get into how gross and wrong homophobia is because AH-NO-DOY, and we also don’t really need to worry too much about people like Rick Santorum because they’re just shitty assholes for real, and no amount of yelling at them in some airless classroom just off the stacks in the undergrad library on the west quad is going to change their opinion. And you know what, I will even go a step further and say that I kind of understand Rick Santorum’s point that many organizations are established simply to reinforce their pre-conceived notions and make them seem more official and legitimate. He knows this because politicians do shit like this all the time. I’m not entirely convinced that this is the case with the American Psychological Association, but even setting that aside for a moment, the part where his whole argument just falls straight to hell is that even if everything he was saying is true, that the American Medical Association is just some nefarious clan of “so-called” doctors (which, also, what is THAT all about? That some doctors shouldn’t be there? Eek. You definitely don’t sound like a weird, angry bigot, you weird, angry bigot!) his counter-argument IS JUST AS UNSUBSTANTIATED. Even if you feel that the science is incorrect, you can’t just counter it with “I THINK I READ IT IN THE BIBLE ONE TIME” as a more sound position to take. At the very best they are now EQUALLY terrible arguments (they’re not, but we’re playing Santorum’s Advocate here) and that means that both sides would have to at least acknowledge that they didn’t have enough information to feel entirely confident in their own position and that they would have to at least leave open the possibility that the other side was the correct one until they had gotten more verification (from God Herself?). Just nonsense.

In closing, Rick Santorum is a crap. I rest my case. (Via TheDailyWhat.)

Comments (68)
  1. I made it 6 seconds in before I threw my shoe at the monitor. I am frankly impressed I made it that long. This guy. There are no eye rolls eye rolley enough to covey the sheer eye rolliness of the crap that spews out of his mouth.

• There should be some kind of service that will transcribe the contents of videos where horrible human beings express hateful rhetoric, so we can scan those transcripts for a cursory understanding of their contents without having to endure the actual sight and sound of Michelle Bachmann praying to God to end health care reform JUST FOR EXAMPLE.

Of course, the main problem with this service would be that whoever performed it would not be getting paid nearly enough. And they probably wouldn’t get health benefits, which they would need when their eyes and ears (immediately) started bleeding.

• Just imagine how shamed the entire state of PA was during this scumbags tenure? Honestly, the guy was voted in because of general dissatisfaction with his predecessor? He, like most repubs, ran on a fiscal responsibility ticket and once elected started saying things like, “homosexuality is the same as dog-fucking”? He lasted one term and now he is running for president? Honestly, you can see how bad the 15 yr olds want to jump in and tear down his argument?

• His predecessor was Harris Wofford, who helped create the Peace Corps and was an advisor to President Kennedy on civil rights. It wasn’t so much dissatisfaction with him as it was the fact that it was 1994, a horrible year for Democrats in Congress. Santorum lasted two terms before losing to Bob Casey.

2. Man, that girl really Savaged him.

3. ” The American Psycological association isn’t proof of anything”.. I don’t want to offend any one but uh.. that book he mentioned a couple of times.. the uh, bible.. well I mean, jeez, it’s just uhm. well I don’t think that’s PROVED anything either.

• “You stick with your so called doctors and I’ll stick with my Priest, lawyer.”

• Yeah, if your argument is “two thousand years ago some bronze age screw heads hated on fags then you know Im right” then you should “rest your case”?

Am I doing this right, monsters?

4. “Suddenly I don’t seem so bad, do I?” -Gwyneth Paltrow

5. on the bright side, he can’t make his stupid hatred not sound like stupid hatred long enough to get elected president.

6. We’ve come to such a strange place in America. We have a society where everybody understands that a bigot is an undesirable thing to be, so nobody will admit their views are bigoted. And so you have all kinds of people saying what amounts to “it is not bigoted to treat people differently based on who they are.” That is not a correct statement!

7. Ok. Testing a theory here. Would either of these arguments hold up if everyone in the room was a baby Welsh Corgi?

Let’s see:

Conclusion: No, but the cuteness factor is off the charts.

8. Time for you to psychologist up, asshole!

9. “I am a bigot. We dont elect bigots to office.” – Rick Santorum
    QED!

10. “THE AMERICAN PSYCHOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION IS NOT PROOF OF ANYTHING.” (record screech) “Now I’m a biggot because I believe in what the BIBLE teaches…”

Santorum, the King of Dependable Resources.

11. Poor bigot must fuck like dog shit.

12. the awfulness he displays here is no surprise, so i am going to go ahead and say that the worst part about this video is that he seems to consider – or wants his audience believe – that Piers Morgan is somehow a credible journalist.

• and while i’m at it, let me vent…Catholic Charities here in Illinois, and specifically in Chicago are now suing the state so that they can still get state/federal funding for their adoption/foster program even though they actively discriminate against same sex couples, which is against the law for obvious reasons.*

these people would rather have kids live in group homes and orphanages than in a stable, loving environment simply because that environment involves 2 people of the same sex. that stance is simply reprehensible.

and as a person who was raised catholic, i am ashamed and do not recognize that opinion from any of the values i was taught and the religion supposedly preaches.

*so, yeah, I guess I am for taking away tax exemption status from bigots.

13. Santorum is not a crap. Santorum is the frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the by-product of anal sex no doi.

14. I dont know much about the American tax code but Im guessing the word bigot appears zero times in it and that personality traits having nothing to do with determining if an institution gets classified as a church or not

15. I am honestly terrified of the 2012 elections. Terrified.

16. To be fair, he’s right that it’s not proof in that it would be inadmissible as evidence in court without an expert witness to accompany it.

But also to be fair, he is wrong about literally every other thing.

17. Ancient teachings by a group of people who refuse to modernize bigoted? Well now I’ve heard everything.

18. Well I think it’s pretty safe to assume now that all Rick San_____s are bigots.

You betta watchout, guy-who-played-Les-Nessman: Richard Sanders. Or should I call you…”Rick?”

19. Finally, I’ve got Rick Santorum right where I want ‘im! Surely he will change his mind after hearing the opinion of a college student. This is going to do just as well as that sit-in we held for the repairing of the debt ceiling. – That Person

P.S. Homophobia is awful, so is Rick Santorum and I do genuinely wish she had changed his mind in that video. Unfortunately it was an exercise in futility from the start.

• I don’t know, it sounded to me like the woman in the video was simply exhausted and perhaps the only person in the room with the “choot-spa” to speak up….it didn’t sound like she wanted a pedestal or anything, and while she maybe didn’t do a great job resting her own case, she was right in confronting that walking human garbage claiming to hold a reasonable position…

• Also, changing Santorum’s mind: futile.

Changing the mind of someone attending a Santorum rally/speech/whatever by having him show how stupid/bigotted/etc he is: somewhat less futile.

If this was a private meeting, it would have been pretty useless, but there is likely one or two people that might say “well, maybe I shouldn’t vote for Santorum” because of this. Of course, the guy had no chance in the presidential election anyway, and he’s probably toxic enough that no one is dumb enough to make him their running mate (Palin was a garbage monster, but no one seemed to know that until after she was named … most people can do a google search to know that Santorum ain’t candidate material).

• Very good point, I hadn’t thought of it that way. Yes, it would definitely be worth it if someone in the room started rethinking their own views because of this discussion. Santorum, however, is a lost cause. I lump him in with the Bachmanns and Palins of the political forum, individuals who are way too invested in their own microcosm to even recognize a type of discourse that doesn’t involve smirking, bad puns and crowd baiting.

20. Rick Santorum’s justifications for all his beliefs are 1) Because money; 2) Because the Pope. He is a very stupid person who is probably still mad that ladies don’t have to wear hats in church.

21. yeah, Pennsylvanians are super proud of this guy.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t Pope John Paul II say a while ago that being a homosexual was not inherently a sin? I think so. Of course, i’m pretty sure he also said that performing homosexuality still was, so it’s kind of a shitty loophole. But even still, the pope was more open-minded than this guy, assuming I’ve remembered facts properly.

Also, it is not awkward at all trying to explain to one’s mother what the slang term “santorum” means on the way to the Olive Garden for never-ending pasta bowl in a car where there is no escape and no changing the subject. not awkward at all.

• It’s not the homosexual identification that the church classifies as a sin, but rather acting on one’s homosexual desires – just as heterosexuals engaging in intercourse outside of marriage would also be classified as a sin.

Sadly, gay Catholic men who want to be priests – men who will be taking a vow of celibacy to live in this magical sexual sin-free state – are now reportedly being turned away from entering the seminary.

22. Question: So now I’m a bigot because I believe in the Bible teaches?
    Answer: Yes, kind of. If you are only concentrating on Leviticus (old mosaic by the way) and what he said in one line on that massive phonebook-esque fantasy text. Then, yes, you are kind of a bigot.

23. Never has “You Might Also Like” been a less apt heading for a group of videos.

24. Also, psychologists aren’t psychiatrists. The failure of everyone involved in this video to recognize that distinction bothers me more than it should.

25. Speaking of Christianity and the Bible, I have Rick Santorum to thank for teaching me an important lesson about God’s love.

I used to live in the Capitol Hill neighborhood of Washington, and decided one year that instead of giving something up for Lent, I’d try to go to church more. I started going to an early morning mass near my house during the week.

At one of the first masses I attend there, the priest gets to the kiss of peace. The man in the pew in front of me turns around. It’s Rick Santorum. I am momentarily flummoxed. Then I think about how Jesus talked about loving one’s enemies. I hate Rick Santorum’s views on mostly everything, but when it comes down to the “Who do I want to emulate – Jesus or Rick Santorum” question, I go for Jesus. So I gave Santorum a sincere wish for peace, and said a silent prayer that he would extend that same sense of peace to gays.

We see how well that prayer turned out.

26. Yes, we are all very very sad in Pennsylvania. Sad that he EVER represented us. Why – I ask – WHY – is he still allowed to speak? Yes, yes, I am ALL for freedom of speech. But really…who is still saying “Yes, Rick Santorum, that is just the person we need to invite to our _________ for political discussion.” He is awful and irrelevant. GO AWAY RICK SANTORUM. The best thing about him is what Savage made up. Haha.

27. More sanatoriums.